Skills development and training is a continuous and educational process in which the human resources department helps employees improve their skills set, learn new concepts, and gain more knowledge about their specific job or role to better perform tasks overall. This used to be an add on to business strategies in the past but with the Fourth Industrial revolution upon us work and learning have become increasingly integrated, which requires employees to be able and willing to learn more effectively on the job.
Employee training and development is now more than ever especially important and should be implemented in the workplace as the Fourth Industrial Revolution will bring immense change to the workplace. New technologies will steer in new practices in the workplace and render old ones obsolete. In order to leverage the benefits of Industry 4.0 (Fourth Industrial Revolution), firms must be strategic about staying competitive through improved talent management.
It will be critical to have employees who are willing to learn in order to transition successfully to Industry 4.0. The evolution of workplace communication, collaboration, information, and learning technologies reflects a gradual transition from learning away from work (e.g., traditional classroom-based training or online courses) toward collaborative problem solving and a seamless integration of learning and work (e.g., online communities or instant messengers).
It is therefore in the best interests of the organization to provide ongoing training for employees as this contributes to the growth and improvement of the organization. The purpose of training as set out in the Skills Development Act is as follows:
- To improve the quality of life of workers, their prospects of work and labour mobility
- To improve productivity in the workplace and the competitiveness of employers
- To increase the levels of investment in education and training in the labour market and to improve the return on that investment
- To promote self-employment
- To improve the delivery of services
It is clear to see that skills development plays a crucial role in the workplace. Employers are required to have effective plans in place to be implemented for skills development and training for employees. Many may ask what exactly is an employee training and development plan? The answer to this is quite straightforward. An employee training and development plan ensures professional development, where both the employer and employee benefit eventually. This plan should ideally provide direction on career growth as well as training and development opportunities in the workplace. However, some employers may find some struggles in drafting and implementing this plan. Below are some tips on how to implement the plan:
- Assess your employee’s needs. The first step to creating an employee training and development plan is to assess the needs of both the organization and the employees. Once these needs have been established, it becomes easier to see where training is much needed and the type training that is needed, which department or specific employees need training in relation to what the organization needs.
- Have conversations with your employees. These conversations are meant to establish what the goals of your employees are and how that ties in with the goals of the organization. This can create a sense of value for employees and motivate them to be outstanding in their roles knowing that their goals as well as their presence in the organization is valued.
- Examine the skills and training that each employee might need. Employees have different roles within the organization. Each of these roles contribute towards the growth and success of the organization. It is therefore important to examine the training each employee will need to undergo according to their specific role within the organization. This will ensure that they fulfil their roles as diligently and efficiently as possible. This enables the organization to align the values of the employees with that of the organization, in so doing the workforce will be motivated to stay as they will envision a bright future with the organization.
- Plan carefully and in advance. The one thing that business leaders are often concerned about is the effectiveness of the training and development programs. Thoughtful planning can make the training program as successful and beneficial to employees and the organization as possible. As previously mentioned, taking note of employee training needs and organizational needs can help an employer to totally avoid the dangers of an unclear and disadvantageous training program.
- Draft the plan comprehensively and include time-specific goals. Drafting the plan is important. This is where all the above-mentioned information is included. It is also important to set time goals to each step in the plan. For example, when training for specific employees should start, how long it will take, when it should be completed and what is to be achieved through that specific program.
- Implement the plan and measure the success. This is where the actual training takes place. After which, employers will have to measure whether employees acquired new skills and whether their existing skills were upgraded and how this will contribute to the organization.
In conclusion, it is imperative for organizations to draft and implement employee training plans and implement these plans accordingly. It is therefore advisable that organizations seek help from agencies that offer services in the line of skills development and training. Cham-training is an agency that assists organizations with skills development and training, offering services such as Assessment, Reporting, Implementation and Maintenance of employee training plans.